Where there’s a will there’s a way……..
to honour the memory of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
You don’t need to be rich to make a contribution that will ensure The Argylls are never forgotten and their stories of bravery and sacrifice educate and inspire future generations.
What difference could you make?
Everyone can make a real difference by remembering The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders’ Museum in their Will. Even as little as 1% of your estate could have a real impact, while still ensuring your loved ones are provided for.
Your legacy gift costs nothing now, but will play a crucial role in securing the future of the Museum. It can also reduce the tax burden on your family, as such gifts are not subject to inheritance tax.
A gift in your Will would:
- Honour the memory of the Regiment and ensure its exploits are never forgotten.
- Ensure the Regiment maintains a presence in Stirling Castle, it’s spiritual home.
- Conserve the nationally important collection of military artefacts, letters, artwork and silver.
- Support outreach and education programmes across the Regiment’s territorial footprint.
There will be a permanent record of your gift in our Museum, unless you prefer your gift to be anonymous.
Why leave a Will?
Writing your Will may be the only way to ensure your family and loved ones are taken care of after you have gone. Once you have made arrangements for the people closest to you, why not leave a gift in your Will to The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders’ Museum?
By writing a Will, you can:
- Make sure your wishes are followed
With an up-to-date Will, you can have peace of mind that the people and causes that matter to you have been looked after in the way you choose.
- Make it easier on friends and family
A Will makes it much easier for your family and friends to take care of your estate and be sure they are acting on your wishes.
- Help to reduce the tax burden on your family
A gift in your Will to the Museum can reduce the amount of inheritance tax your family need to pay.
- Give your assets to the people and causes you love most
Ways to give
Leaving a gift in your Will is an important decision, but it doesn’t have to be complicated.
There are three main types of gift to choose from:-
- Residuary Legacy
A percentage of your estate, after all expenses have been paid and other legacies have been made. One of the advantages of this type of legacy is that you are less likely to need to update your Will in the future if circumstances change (because, for example, 1% of your estate will always be 1% of your estate)
- Pecuniary Legacy
A pecuniary legacy is a gift of a specified sum of money.
- Specific Legacy
A gift of a particular item such as paintings, antiques or jewellery. This bequest is made on the basis that the Museum Trustees are authorised at their absolute discretion to sell what is bequeathed or to retain the bequest.
In general, we prefer not to restrict the use of legacies we receive so that we can use your gift wherever it is most needed at the time, and it can be hard to predict which areas we will need to focus on in the future.
What to do next
Make sure its legal:
- We recommend using a solicitor to write or update your Will. If you are looking for a solicitor in your local area, you can find one by contacting the Law Society. If you are in in Scotland, go to www.lawscot.org.uk or, if you are England or Wales please visit www.lawsociety.org.uk.
- If you’re making a Will for the first time, or amending an existing Will, we can provide wording which you may find useful to ensure your money goes to the right place. Please note, however, that we are not qualified to offer legal advice. Download example wording here.
- To ensure your legacy gift is received by the Museum, you must include our full name and address: The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Museum Trust (Charity No: SC042084), The Castle, Stirling, FK8 1EH.
If you plan to remember the Museum, or have already written us into your Will, please let us know so we can thank you personally and invite you to events. Knowing you’re planning to leave us a gift will also help us to plan more effectively for the future.
We will respect your privacy at all times and never pass on any confidential information.
If you decide to leave a gift to the Museum in your Will, Lesley Onslow, our Capital Appeal Coordinator, will be very happy to answer any questions you might have.
- Call 01786 448041
- Email email@example.com
- Or write to :-Capital Appeal Coordinator,
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Regimental Museum
Your generosity and kindness will preserve the memory of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders for generations to come.